Wise Covenant provides many ways for congregants to create a permanent legacy that will nourish Jewish life for ourselves, our children, our grandchildren and generations to come.
In Judaism, charity is not merely an act of giving; it is a moral commitment of faith. Each gift to Wise Temple reflects this tenet and makes possible:
- inspiring worship led by outstanding clergy
- stimulating educational and cultural opportunities for children, teens and adults
- fulfillment of our commitment to tikkun olam (repairing the world)
- well-connected and caring congregational community
- membership to all who wish to join regardless of ability to fully pay
- preservation of historic Plum Street Temple
The Wise Covenant was established to preserve and enhance the rich legacy of our congregation by securing vital endowment funds.
HOW TO CONTRIBUTE
When you donate shares of stock or mutual funds that have appreciated in value since their purchase, you:
- Make a generous gift to Isaac M. Wise Temple.
- Receive a charitable income tax deduction equal to the fair market value of the securities at the time of donation (if you have owned the shares longer than one year).
- Avoid the capital gains tax you would incur if you sold the shares.
If you have securities that have decreased in value since you purchased them, consider selling them and making a tax-deductible gift of the cash proceeds. You may then be able to deduct the loss from other taxable income. The combined tax benefits of the charitable donation in cash and the capital loss may actually exceed the current value of the investment.
Many companies have programs through which they will match, double or even triple charitable contributions made by their employees. Check with your company’s human resources department to determine if they offer a gift matching program. When you make your gift to Wise Temple, include your company’s gift matching form with your donation.
Naming Wise Temple as a beneficiary of your estate gives the gift of Jewish worship, learning and community in the years to come. Wise Temple can provide sample wording that can be used to include Wise Temple in wills and bequests. New tax laws may make designating Wise Temple as a retirement account beneficiary even more advantageous to your estate plans.
Planned giving is a philanthropic tool that enables you to realize significant financial gains while providing support to the Temple. You can tailor your donation to fit both your needs and those of Wise Temple. There are a variety of Planned Giving strategies including Bequests, Donations of Appreciated Assets (Real Estate, Stocks, Bonds, etc.), Life Insurance, Charitable Remainder Trusts, Charitable Lead Trusts, etc.
Planned Giving ensures the future of Wise Temple and allows you to be philanthropic and financially secure.