History of K.K. B'nai Yeshurun - Isaac M. Wise Temple
Rabbi James G. Heller is hired as Assistant Rabbi. He will become the Senior Rabbi in 1926, upon the death of Rabbi Grossman.
The Isaac M. Wise Center on Reading Road and North Crescent is opened on April 24, 1927. Usage of Plum Street Temple is limited to the High Holy Days, festivals, and Ordination services of Hebrew Union College.
The Wise Temple Brotherhood is inaugurated on January 11, 1928.
The congregation merges with the Reading Road Temple, making a combined membership of 908 families. Rabbi Samuel Wohl of the Reading Road Temple becomes rabbi of K. K. B'nai Yeshurun, along with Rabbi Heller. Reading Road Temple itself is a consolidation of the John Street Temple (Ahavath Achim) and the Mound Street Temple (She'erith Israel). The first congregational seder is also held. In addition, the basement of Plum Street Temple becomes a shelter for homeless men. Throughout the next five years, an average of 210 men will sleep there each night.
Rabbi Albert Goldman begins his service to the Temple as Co-Rabbi with Rabbi Wohl.
The congregation celebrates the centennial anniversary of Plum Street Temple. Rabbi Goldman becomes the Senior Rabbi during this year.
Temple Bene Israel of Hamilton, Ohio joins the congregation as an affiliate.
Rabbinical student Sally Priesand, who will become the first woman ordained as a rabbi a year later, serves as a rabbinic intern to the congregation.
The Wise Center on Reading Road and North Crescent is sold. The congregation holds regular Sabbath services once again at Plum Street Temple.
Plum Street Temple is placed on the National Register of Historic Places of the Department of the Interior as a national landmark.
The new Isaac M. Wise Center is opened on Ridge Road in Amberley Village.
The Congregation begins the Wise Center Day Camp program, which becomes one of the largest day camps in the community serving pre-school and young school children.
Scroll To Top