History of K.K. B'nai Yeshurun - Isaac M. Wise Temple
Along with K. K. Bene Israel, a joint cemetery in Walnut Hills is organized (which will become known as the United Jewish Cemetery). Today this joint enterprise is responsible for numerous cemeteries in the Cincinnati area.
The laying of Plum Street Temple's cornerstone takes place on May 12, 1865. The congregation had needed a larger building for years, but their plans were postponed due to the Civil War.
The Plum Street Temple is dedicated on Friday, August 24, 1866. As a daily paper writes at the time, "Cincinnati never before had seen so much grandeur pressed into so small a space." Although originally budgeted at a cost of $35,000 for the land, and $55,000 for the building, the total cost of the enterprise exceeded $300,000, largely due to post Civil War inflation.
Rabbi Wise founds the Union of American Hebrew Congregations, the umbrella body of the Reform Movement in North America.
Rabbi Wise founds the Hebrew Union College, what is now the oldest rabbinical school in the Western Hemisphere.
Rabbi Wise founds the Central Conference of Reform Rabbis, the professional union of the Reform rabbinate in America
A celebration of the fiftieth year of the congregation is held on February 26, 1892. An impressive procession and banquet is held.
The congregation celebrates Rabbi Wise's eightieth birthday along with the Central Conference of Reform Rabbis.
Rabbi Wise dies on March 26, 1900. His pulpit chair at Plum Street Temple is draped in black and kept vacant for a year. Rabbi Louis Grossman is elected Senior Rabbi until 1926.
What will later be known as The Wise Center is opened on September 25, 1903 on Reading Road as an additional building for the congregation.
The Wise Temple Sisterhood is formed at this time and becomes a charter member of the National Federation of Temple Sisterhoods.
Scroll To Top